Saturday, December 18, 2010

Hello

It is the middle of winter. Which is why this blog won't have to many updates till summer. However this past year my father and my boyfriend Luke helped my build a garden for me to grow all kinds of exciting things in. I have loved gardening since I took a botany class in high school and then another one in college. I thank both of my teachers for encouraging me and teaching me about the way plants work. I can apply that knowledge to my garden now. The garden is about 25 feet long by 9 feet wide. It is a dealable size. However, I don't know anyone that has done successful gardening, besides my grandfather who is to old to teach me, so my garden is an experiment. Last year I tried to do to much of to many different things. I had pumpkins and gourds and watermelon and tomatoes and peppers and cucumbers and yellow squash and green beans and lettuce and carrots. WAY to much going on and because it is so small I found out the hard way that vine plants won't be good in that setting. I'm hoping to build some raised gardens near the end of my yard where the ground is rather wet constantly. That way the roots will have access to water. I hope to try pumpkins and watermelon again down there and maybe corn, we will see. I want to focus on cucumbers and peppers and tomatoes and lettuces and things like that in my small garden for this upcoming year. I have a gate that you enter into the garden through which I have grapes growing up the sides and next to my garden I have smaller patches of asparagus and raspberries (red and gold). I also have hanging planters that I do strawberries in and they were most delicious last year and I'm really looking forward to that again. We tilled the ground a bit after throwing all the leaves from our yard into there along with some uneaten vegetables. I hoping that it will soften the ground and make it nice and rich with nutrients for the plants next year. mmm... I'm drooling for them already and winter just started!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment